Wednesday, December 11, 2013

I sit in my office, topless.

Twice a day, I sit at my desk, topless. I'm lucky enough that I actually have a door to my office, although there was that one day when the IT guy tried to walk in. I think he even used his key. What an office faux-pas that would have been, right?

Breastfeeding is one of the rare things that I pride myself on being good at. It's a passive skill, but I was able to feed all three kids with just my body and even though it was a bumpy road now and then, we were successful, my breasts and me.

Working full-time means pumping at work at least twice a day. I use the time to catch up on learning German, emailing, reading my Feedly stuff or surfing the web. I take pride in the fact that I can express milk and type at the same time. I should clock my WPM while pumping and put it on my resume.

SKILLS:  Can express breastmilk while typing 60 WPM!

The time is coming near when my youngest, AD, will turn a year and the need for pumping at work will diminish. My middle child, G, was a self-lead weaner. I never thought those really, really existed until I gave birth to one. At 11 months old, he looked at me and signed "All done" and never went back to nursing again. I remember saying, out loud "What, you're not done! I'M not done!" but he never nursed again. He would pretend he was going to, out of kindness I supposed, but as soon as my nipple was in his mouth, he would nip me (ha!) and turn away. As if to say "That was your warning bite, Momma. Don't attempt it again..." He was a biter too, but that's a different story.


No comments:

Post a Comment